Non Objective Abstract
Margaret O’Hagan Peterson (1902-1997) was born in Seattle, WA in 1902. Peterson studied at UC Berkeley where she earned her MA. Peterson studied with Hans Hofmann, Vaclav Vytlacil, and André Lhote. Peterson’s paintings were influenced by Picasso and by Northwest Indian art. She joined the art department at UC Berkeley in 1928 and held a position there until 1950. In 1956 Peterson and her husband moved to British Columbia, Canada. The two later moved to Italy where they lived for 11 years before returning to British Columbia, where they spent the rest of their lives, surrounded by the Northwest Indian arts that inspired Margaret’s work.
Margaret Peterson exhibited widely, including the California Palace of the Legion of Honor in 1933 and 1960 (solo); Paul Elder Gallery, San Francisco, 1934 (solo); San Francisco Women Artists, 1935 (1st prize), 1936 (2nd prize); San Francisco Art Association, 1937; Golden Gate International Exhibition, 1939; San Francisco Museum of Art, 1939 and 1973 (solo); Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, 1953 (solo); and University of British Columbia, 1961 (solo).
This work was created in the early 1950s when Margaret was working in the San Francisco Bay area.
Gouache on paper board.
Measures 20.75″ x 25.25″ sight size, and 24.25″ x 29″ x 2″ overall including framing.
Condition: Some minor staining and minor paint loss. Small bend to board in corner.